Friday, April 20, 2012

My Growing Distaste for Facebook Debates

I am a Christian. I am a gospel preacher. I work at home, on my computer, and spend most days writing lessons, class material, articles, and studying my Bible. I love to study the Bible. I love to discuss the Bible even more - to help others in their pursuit of truth, to be challenged myself, to have those back-and-forth discussions with brethren that deepen my knowledge of the scriptures (and theirs as well, hopefully). Of course, there are opportunities to have Bible discussions at church. Also, my wife and I often discuss the scriptures, and as my children grow older, I'm sure there will be many profitable discussions with them as well. When I have Bible studies with others in the community, it is common for a "presentation" to turn into a discussion, which is wonderful. But then, the internet also has opened up many, many opportunities for Bible discussions with other people - people I know, people I kind of know, and people I've never met.

Years ago, it was "Pleonast," a site like Facebook that was mainly used by Christians. There were "groups" on Pleonast that I joined where the purpose was to discuss and debate spiritual matters. I remember spending many hours arguing with other preachers and Christians about every issue imaginable. I myself started a LOT of threads, asking questions about different issues (many of which were controversial).

Then, along came Myspace. I was on there for a while and oddly enough, I remember very little about my experiences on Myspace. The site still exists...I think, but obviously, internet junkies are, for the most part, directing their energy and efforts towards the infamous "Facebook."

I'm on Facebook. In fact, if you're reading this article, it's probably because I linked to it from my Facebook page. I like Facebook. It's a wonderful way to keep in touch with friends, family, and other Christians. And yes, it's yet another place where spiritually-minded people can discuss and debate the scriptures. Over the years, since joining Facebook, I have participated in many of these discussions. Where I spend many hours on the computer each and every day, I do log into Facebook and because so many of my friends are Christians (and many of them, preachers), it's not uncommon to see various Bible discussions taking place. I've started more than a few myself.

Sometimes, a simple, innocent question can turn into a very drawn-out discussion. There might be dozens, or even hundreds of comments. Other times, a point is made or a question is posed for the purpose of instigating such a lively debate...

...and for me, it is really hard to resist a good Bible discussion.

Facebook's format makes it even harder. It's like a Lay's potato chip. "I betcha can't eat just one." You make ONE comment, and then, all of a sudden, there's that bright red number at the top of the page...a notification. Yes, once you make a comment on a thread, from that point forward, you will be notified EVERY TIME someone else comments on that same thread.

And you just have to return to that conversation to see what was said. After all, maybe they're responding to YOUR comment. What did they say? Did they agree with you, or disagree? If they disagreed, how are you going to respond? What next?

Then you start "liking" people's comments. And others like your comments. And you're always looking to see who liked who's comment. That only makes it more intriguing.

And you get sucked into it.

Now imagine that you've made several comments on different threads. Suddenly, that little red "notification" box at the top of the page lights up constantly. The numbers get higher and higher. Two notifications. Now FIVE notifications. Whoa! By the time you respond to this comment, that little red number is calling you somewhere else, so you rush over and comment there, but now you're being called BACK by the notification fairy to the other conversation...

...and very soon, you realize that you've been at it for an hour...or two hours...

Shew!

I love Bible discussions, but I am really, really developing a distaste for Facebook debates. It's taken a long time - many years, in fact - but I'm there. I'm at the point where enough is enough. Let me explain why...
  1. Online debates are dangerous because there is very little accountability. You're not looking at the other person. You don't even have to hear their voice (see point #2 below). So all of a sudden, you are bolder than you've ever been. You say things that you wouldn't say if you were standing in front of them, and that's not a good thing. I am reminded of Korah, Dathan and Abiram in Numbers 16. They were oh so bold in their accusations against Moses and Aaron...until Moses basically told them, "Come and say it to my face." They wouldn't. This revealed their true cowardice and dishonesty. Now, I'm not saying that everyone who participates in a debate on Facebook is cowardly and dishonest, but I am saying that Facebook (or any online medium) offers very little accountability. As a result, we become mean, harsh, critical; we resort to name-calling and mud-slinging...none of which reflects the spirit of Christ!
  2. This brings me to another problem. In an online conversation, you obviously are reading someone else's comments without the benefit of hearing their voice. Consequently, you might read a comment and draw incorrect conclusions about what tone, or attitude, is behind that comment. You might assume, for example, that a person was angry when they typed a particular comment. It may be something as simple as an exclamation point, or a word in ALL CAPS. They may have merely been emphasizing something, but you assume that it denotes anger. I wonder...I wonder how many words, sentences, comments, etc. are written for the sole purpose of clarifying tone or intent (because you've offended someone, or been offended by someone). Man, I've been there more times than I can count. Paul says in 1 Corinthians 13:5 that love "thinks no evil." In other words, I shouldn't assume the worst of a brother or sister in Christ. Facebook, and all online chat rooms, sure make that commandment really, really difficult.
  3. Naturally, in such a volatile environement, there is the temption to be impulsive. Read the following verses and apply them to Facebook: "In the multitude of words sin is not lacking, but he who restrains his lips is wise" (Prov. 10:19). "A wrathful man stirs up strife, but he who is slow to anger allays contentions" (Prov. 15:18). "The beginning of strife is like releasing water; therefore stop contention before a quarrel starts" (Prov 17:14). "He who answers a matter before he hears it, it is folly and shame to him" (Prov. 18:13). "The discretion of a man makes him slow to anger, and his glory is to overlook a transgression" (Prov 19:11). And then finally, "...be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath" (James 1:19). Am I saying that it's wrong to discuss the scriptures? No. Am I saying that it's wrong to debate the scriptures? No. Am I saying that all Bible discussions on Facebook are wrong? No. I'm just saying that where there is (1) very little accountability, and (2) such strong temptations to misinterpret the tone of comments, that there is (3) the temptation to be impulsive, to say something without giving thought to tone, prudence, tactfulness, etc. How many times have you typed something on impulse only to "remove" the comment after the fact.
  4. Sadly, religious debates/conversations on Facebook do more harm that good. Maybe this is just MY observation. Maybe YOU have observed something different. However, it appears to me that more often than not, rather than a fruitful discussion where both sides walk away further enlightened and edified, people walk away (1) more entrentched in their belief, (2) bitter/angry towards brethren that they used to respect, (3) self-satisifed that they "won" the debate or at least got their point across (as if it's a competition), and (4) prone now to go and complain about and/or gossip about the others who participated in that thread. I'm not saying that all Facebook debates are handled in such a shameful manner. MANY of them, in fact, may bear NONE of these characteristics. Again, maybe it's just my observation and maybe I'm wrong...but...I doubt it.
  5. Simply put: religious conversations and debates on Facebook often devolve into pure pettiness and immaturity. We start picking each other's comments apart. I've done it. Maybe you have, too. Doesn't Paul say something about this in 1 Timothy 6? "Arguments over words" (vs. 3) are to be avoided by those Christians desiring unity.
  6. One thing that drives me absolutely bonkers is a disorganized debate, and I find that it's nearly impossible to have a truly organized discussion on Facebook. A point is made or a question is posed. People begin to respond. Comments pour in all at once. Different objections are raised at the same time. Suddenly, there are a dozen people commenting, chasing down every rabbit trail, pursuing every question...and so often, the debate ends in a totally different place and I'm wondering, "How in the world did we get here?" Am I the only one?
  7. Finally, in light of objections 1-6 (see above), it is so easy to waste precious time on Facebook. I'm all for good, profitable Bible discussions, even if they're on Facebook. I'm sure I'll participate in a few in the future. But friend, really...how many hours do we waste having fruitless, contentious, unprofitable discussions on the internet? I am guilty, and I repent. "[Redeem] the time, because the days are evil" (Ephesians 5:16). Instead of getting sucked into quarrel after quarrel after quarrel in such a cold, detached, impersonal environment, why not spend that time actually reading and studying the Bible (you'll learn more anyways), concentrating on your own work and efforts in your own area (and church), helping people, visiting people, SPENDING TIME WITH YOUR SPOUSE AND CHILDREN, etc, etc, etc.
I digress.

Again, please don't think that I'm condemning ALL Bible conversations/debates that occur online. I'm just making a personal decision that from now on, I'm going to make it a point to avoid getting involved in Facebook debates. It's going to be hard. It's like eating a Lay's potato chip and not reaching your hand back into the bag. I'm going to see questions and comments posed by friends and I'm going to want to make just ONE wee little comment. And there'll be all kinds of ways to justify it in my own mind...

But then I'll remember...as tempting as it is now, I'll regret it in the end.

3 comments:

  1. Very valid observations, Casey. Good for you for seeing the pitfalls and for determining to avoid temptation. I wonder what non-Christians on our friends lists think about Christ and His church when they happen upon such debates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True. Especially #6. I wonder who has so much time to participate in these long debates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree 110%, this is what drove me to start a group geared toward non-Christians and trying to reach the lost for Christ, as opposed to endless debates. The technology is here, we just have to use it wisely...check us out at what does the Bible say?

    ReplyDelete