Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Accepting God's will - a Personal Story

In Matthew 6:10, Jesus taught the disciples to humbly pray for God's will to be done on earth. While praying in the Garden of Gethsemane, Jesus said, "O My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as You will" (Mt. 26:39). And John reaffirms this message in 1 John 5:15 when he writes, "Now this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us."

A few years ago, I started my own publishing company, Silver Falls Publishing, and was thereby able to publish a series of Young Adult novels I had written called the "Silver Falls Series." The process was incredibly exciting, and I remember praying that God would bless me with success as an author. I even told God that I could use my success to glorify Him and to share my faith with new contacts. I reasoned that with more name recognition, I could distribute spiritual literature to a much larger audience and thus use my success to more effectively broadcast His truth. And I told God that if I could make my living as a writer, the churches who provided me with financial support could use that money to help other preachers the world over.

I prayed for success daily, but every prayer that I uttered along these lines  included the following disclaimer: "Your will be done!" And I meant it. If God wasn't going to bless me with success, I was willing to accept that and move on with my life.

Well...I opened my online bookstore and marketed my books using social media. I did a couple of book signings and even set up a booth at an annual festival in eastern Kentucky (where I lived at the time). I sold a few hundred books all the while continuing to write new books - eventually writing seven novels and publishing a total of ten books.

But my sales didn't increase as I had hoped. In fact, I was selling fewer and fewer books as the months ticked by. While I had initially planned to write 12 books in the Silver Falls Series, I decided based upon low sales that there would be just five books in the series (I plan on writing the 5th and final book early next year). A few days ago, I removed my online bookstore, and just this morning, I removed my publishing website.

Again, 2-3 years ago, I prayed for success...but was willing to submit to God's will if He chose not to give me success (as a writer). But over time, as it became more apparent to me that I wasn't the next J.K. Rowling, I began to feel discouraged. I was still willing to accept God's will...but it wasn't easy. I had really, really hoped for success, and I had really thought that God would grant that request. He hasn't...and that's okay with me...but I sure wish that things had gone differently.

We always need to follow up our petitions and prayers with "Your will be done." After all, God knows what's best for us, and He knows what will most likely bring Him the glory and honor He deserves. But don't deceive yourself into thinking that God's will is always easy to accept.

It's not. Trust me.

But also trust me when I say this: God's plan is better than your plan!

I may not be a successful author. I may not have book signings scheduled all over the United States. My name may not be a household name. But God HAS blessed me with an incredible ministry in Sparks, Nevada, and an amazing spiritual family in the Queen Way church of Christ. I have a strong marriage and five beautiful children. Who am I to complain?
"Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who trusts in Him! Oh, fear the Lord, you His saints! There is no want to those who fear Him. The young lions lack and suffer hunger; but those who seek the Lord shall not lack any good thing" (Ps. 34:8-10).

No comments:

Post a Comment