Monday, March 10, 2014

I Am a Christian Because...

Why am I a Christian, and why do I view the Bible as God's inspired revelation to mankind?

I am NOT a Christian because the universe has provided me with irrefutable evidence that Jesus is the Son of God who died on the cross for my sins. I am NOT a Christian because I've been raised in a Christian society, or in a Christian home. I am NOT a Christian because I have some mystical feeling in my heart that outweighs all the reason in the world.

While I do believe that there are scientific, traditional and emotional reasons that may be attributed to my faith, I am a Christian because of the Bible.

In the Bible, I am told that all of the Scriptures are inspired by God (2 Tim. 3:16-17). Think about that. The Creator of us all actually revealed His will to various men throughout history who then wrote down exactly what He moved them to write down (2 Peter 1:20-21). The same God who has made us in His image (Gen. 1:26-27), "set eternity in [our] hearts" (Eccl. 3:11), and given us a conscience (Rom. 2:14-16) and heart to pursue the deepest and most profound questions of life, has given us the Bible to answer these questions and to provide us with the guidance we need.

But most importantly, the Bible tells me that while God is holy and perfect, I have fallen short of His standard. I have sinned (Rom. 3:23). If I had cancer, I would want to know it...so that I could either prepare myself for what's coming, or possibly even seek treatment. God's word provides the diagnosis - I am helpless in my sinful condition - but also the prognosis and treatment. "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, whom God set forth as a propitiation by His blood, through faith, to demonstrate His righteousness..." (Rom. 3:23-25).

So the Bible answers the questions of life. Where did I come from? Why am I here? What is my purpose in life? What will happen after I die? But it also guides me in my daily life, helping me to make better decisions. Above all else, it contains the beautiful, wonderful story of Jesus and how I can have a relationship with God, the almighty Creator, through His sacrifice on the cross. Wow.

You might be thinking that it's unreasonable to view the Bible as the inspired word of God just because it says so. Anyone can claim to be speaking on behalf of God, right? Anyone can write a book and then claim divine inspiration, right?

Patience, dear reader. I'm not THAT shallow. I have become more and more convinced of its divine authorship, and I have many reasons for believing so. But that's the topic of another article.

Even though I have reasons for my faith, you might be wondering to yourself, "What about all the scientific evidence that disproves your faith in God?!?!?"

Here's the thing...

Science has not and cannot disprove the reality of God. Science can explain how the universe works, but science can't prove that there isn't a God.

But what about all the scientific evidence for evolution, for an old earth, and for the Big Bang Theory? What about carbon dating, the distant starlight problem, cosmic microwave background (CMB), the peppered moth, dinosaurs, the geologic column, Neanderthal, and all the other so-called 'facts' that deny the timeline and basic facts of the Bible? By believing so strongly in the Scriptures, am I pitting myself against so many irrefutable facts of science? And if the Bible is false, isn't God false?

I believe that there are scientific answers to all these questions. In fact, I believe that the greater weight of science makes a case for a Creator. That being said, after studying these issues for years, I have come to realize that it's not a battle between science and faith, or science and religion, but between two different worldviews. Both evolutionists and creationists have access to the same evidence; they just interpret that evidence differently.

I admit that I begin with a presupposition. I admit that my position is one of faith. I begin with a strong, evidence-based faith in the inspiration of the Bible. I am fully convinced that the Bible is true, and therefore God is true. And so when these questions of starlight and the Grand Canyon come up, I don't call into question my faith; rather, I seek a biblical explanation. And I've never been disappointed.

By way of conclusion...
  1. I am fully convinced that the Bible is the infallible, inspired word of God.
  2. Science cannot disprove the existence of God.
  3. In fact, there is evidence in the natural world of a Creator.
  4. I believe that all of science - even the parts that are used to discredit the Bible - can be explained from a biblical worldview.
In closing, I'd like to share with you how I plan on approaching skeptics in the future.

Let's say I'm on campus this week, standing in front of my "Just Christians" table, attempting to talk to students about matters of faith and religion. And let's say that an atheist stops by and agrees to talk to me as they often do. Instead of getting pulled into these pointless squabbles over Potassium-Argon dating and index fossils, I'm simply going to ask them, "Are you open to the possibility of God?" and, "If I can give you reasons for faith, will you humble yourself and believe in the Lord?" If they're not open-minded and willing to pursue a deeper conversation about faith, I will kindly and lovingly bid them farewell. "If you ever change your mind, you know where to find me," I'll say.

Instead of trying to satisfy the intellectual mind - instead of getting into endless arguments with academics and skeptics about science and philosophy - instead of defending God (as if He needs it) - I've decided to take a more honest approach. Instead of showing why science doesn't disprove my faith-based worldview (as if that will change someone's heart), I'm just going to share my faith. I CAN talk about carbon dating and will gladly do so if necessary, but I'd rather talk to folks about how I have been so impressed and so transformed by the power of the gospel. I'd rather talk about how the Bible is God's word, and how it can give people the answers they're seeking.

Many Christians wrongly believe that to be honest, open-minded and effective in their evangelism, they must engage every skeptic in an intellectual battle of wit. We have convinced ourselves that we must have a ready answer for every question and win every little debate on academic and philosophical grounds. We tell ourselves that once we've conquered their mind, we can conquer their heart.

I disagree.

I have to believe that the "power of the gospel" (Romans 1:16) will have its effect. I have to believe that if I sow the seed and water it, that God will "add the increase" (1 Cor. 3:6). And again, I have to believe that even though others will mock my faith, none of these criticisms will matter when I'm standing before God and hear Him say, "Well done, good and faithful servant...enter into the joy of your Lord" (Matthew 25:21).

No comments:

Post a Comment