Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Telling Homosexuals to "Just Change"

Many are offended and outraged when Christians contend that homosexuals must change who they are to serve Christ. They argue that a person cannot change who they are...who they were born to be.

I do not claim to understand the mind of a homosexual, but I can imagine that it would be very difficult to suddenly curb these desires which, at least in their mind, are completely natural. And I think we have done the homosexual community an injustice when we coldly tell them to "just change." While I do not believe that anyone is "born gay," I do not and will not deny that these desires, though biblically termed "unnatural" (Romans 1:26-27) feel natural to those who have them.

Having clarified that, not only must a homosexual change who they are to follow Christ, it is possible (1 Cor. 6:9-11). But more than that, we're not only calling upon homosexuals to change. If we ARE isolating homosexuals in this way, then WE are missing the point. 

The fact is, ALL OF US are called to change who we are to follow Christ. We all have natural desires. We all have our own struggles with immorality. It may be lust, greed, anger or materialism. A person might be a workaholic or an alcoholic. In all of these cases, traits that are natural and unique to each person make certain things more tempting. And in each of these cases, we must reject what has always defined us and has been natural for us and change who we are to be who God has called us to be.
"If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me" (Matthew 16:24). 
"And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God" (Rom. 12:2). 
"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me" (Gal. 2:20).
If you are gay, or if you have homosexual tendencies and/or desires, please know that God loves you very much. Yes, He is calling you to change, but He is calling all of us to change. Will it be easy? Change never is. But you are not and will not be alone in this fight. God will help you. Jesus will help you. The Holy Spirit will help you. And we will help you...just as we hope you will help us as we struggle with our own temptations.

So I'm not telling you that you must all of a sudden find the opposite sex attractive. I am simply pleading with you - as I am pleading with all those outside of Christ - to repent and turn to God...with the understanding that His grace and His word and the support of His people are capable of transforming your life and bringing you incredible joy. As hard as it might be to imagine, this is a sacrifice worth making.
"Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ" (Philippians 3:8).

No comments:

Post a Comment