Friday, September 18, 2009

God Is So Good To Me

Sometimes God speaks to us in subtle ways. I'm not saying that He speaks to us audibly, in some still-small voice, but there's no question in my mind that He speaks to us. For example, I've been struggling lately with contentment. Of course, I know what Paul says in Philippians 4:11, "For I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content," but let's all be honest, this is easier said than done sometimes.

Then this morning, as I was reading Psalm 1, I heard my oldest daughter, Jenna (she's four) singing in the other room. She was singing, "God is so good, God is so good, God is so good, He's so good to me..." For those of you who don't know this song, it's in our song books at church. We tend to think of it as a kid's song, because it's so basic and simple. But the simplicity of the song has always impacted me as an adult. Some of our songs can be so eloquent and descriptive, and sometimes we get lost in the complexity of the songs we sing. It's nice to occasionally take a step back and focus on such a simple statement: God is so good, He's so good to me.

As I mentioned in the last paragraph, Jenna was singing this song around the same time that I read Psalm 1. Notice the words of the Psalm below...

"Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor stands in the path of sinners, nor sits in the seats of the scornful; but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and in His law he meditates day and night. He shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that brings forth its fruit in its season, whose leaf also shall not wither; and whatever he does shall prosper." (Psalm 1:1-3)

Now do you see what I mean when I say that God speaks to us. I mean, is it a coincidence that Jenna sang that particular song right when I was reading Psalm 1 right at the time that I was struggling with discontentment? Perhaps it was, but I'd like to think that God was subtly reminding me of how blessed I am. I have no reason to be discontent for the Lord has given me more than I deserve. I have an amazing wife and three beautiful and healthy children. I have a comfortable home. I'm part of a strong congregation that supports me. I live in America, a land of freedom and prosperity. And besides all these things, God has blessed me spiritually through Jesus Christ. I mean, seriously, what right have I to complain?

I think the problem is that, too often, we live in the past and in the future, instead of living in the present. My problem is that I tend to focus a lot on the future, about where I'll be and what I want to do and what I'll have one year...five years...ten years down the road (even though I really have no idea what will happen). This leads to impatience. I want it now. This impatience grows into discontentment, because after all, what I have now is not as good as what I'll have next year. In the process, I forget about all the good things God has given me now.

God is so good to me. I'm like a tree planted by the rivers of water. I need to learn to trust in the Lord and patiently await the unfolding of His plan for my life. Thanks for communicating these things to me this morning, Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment