Friday, January 28, 2011

Enough of Winter

When I was a kid, I loved winter. Winter meant snow days, sledding, snowball fights, hot chocolate and most of all, Christmas! But now that I am 25 years old, winter means warming up the car, scraping ice off the windshield, shoveling snow, and cold, dreary days. Sure, winter is alright for a while. Usually I enjoy the wintry weather for a month or so, but by the time January comes, I am really tired of it. Now, I'm longing for spring blossoms and warm weather.

I think life is the same way. For a while, we enjoy this world, but eventually, we grow weary of it and long for the warmth and comfort of that heavenly home that awaits the faithful. Solomon wrote in Ecclesiastes 11:9, "Rejoice, o young man, in your youth, and let your heart cheer you in the days of your youth," and in 12:1, "Remember now your Creator in the days of your youth, before the difficult days come, and the years draw near when you say, 'I have no pleasure in them.'" It is common for young people, and even young Christians, to prefer this life over the life that is to come. It's like the lyrics of a Kenny Chesney song (which I despise, by the way): "Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to go now."

But despite the euphoria that many feel in this world, difficulties will come. You will grow weary of temptation. The pain and setbacks of aging will eventually strike. The longer you live, the more you will find yourself saying, "Enough of winter!" Enough of this life, I want to go to heaven!

You know, I may be tired of winter, but that doesn't change the fact that winter is here. Likewise, we may be tired of this life and we may long for heaven, but that doesn't change the fact that we are here now. Paul wrote in Philippians 1:23-24, "For I am hard pressed between the two, having a desire to depart and be with Christ, which is far better. Nevertheless to remain in the flesh is more needful for you." While on this earth, we must "redeem the time" (Eph. 5:16). Avoid that "winter depression" that often comes upon Christians who are anxious for heaven. You will see the blossoms of the Tree of Life soon enough (Rev. 22:14). So, like Paul, make the most of your time here.

No comments:

Post a Comment