Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Motivation for FULL Obedience

I like the Psalms.

Even though a lot of the psalms look alike, they are so wonderful because even though the psalmists relate to us their worries and concerns, they unashamedly and unreservedly worshiped and served God as the Almighty.

In Psalm 27, we find a wonderful little message.

In verse 4, David says, "One thing I have desired of the Lord, that will I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord, and to inquire in His temple." In other words, David's favorite thing to do was to worship God...and he desperately wished that he could spend all of his time doing just that.

How many of us have this same mindset today? Do you LONG for the worship assembly just as David longed to be in the temple? Do you CRAVE to be around the people of God just as David craved to dwell in the house of the Lord? If you had your way, would you be spending more and more time in Bible study, prayer and meditation? Do you have these desires and yearnings?

I know I don't always have this same hunger for God...but I wish I did.

Well, I can. And you can. Just as David did.

Notice verse one of the same psalm: "The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Why did David have such zeal for the Lord? It was his constant recognition of who God was and what God had done for him...and continued to do for him.

I'm convinced that the more we dwell on the Lord, the more we will want to serve Him.

Maybe we need to spend less time watching TV and more time studying the Bible.

Perhaps we need to MAKE TIME for private prayer and meditation, even if it means waking up thirty minutes earlier.

Maybe we need to look for more opportunities to open up our home to fellow Christians. Maybe we need to be talking to more people about Jesus. Perhaps we ought to take a little initiative and SEEK GOD rather than waiting on Him to bless us.

Hey, listen, I need to do these things, too. It's easy to become complacent...really, really easy.

So, like David, let's constantly remember the Lord so that we may develop a greater spiritual resolve in our personal lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment