Monday, January 10, 2011

Indwelling of the Holy Spirit

A lot of religious people believe that the Holy Spirit literally and bodily dwells in Christians. Verses such as 1 Corinthians 6:19 affirm this belief, saying that our body is "the temple of the Holy Spirit." And so YES, the Holy Spirit dwells in faithful Christians; that cannot be argued. The real question is HOW...how does the Holy Spirit dwell in us?

I would contend that the Holy Spirit dwells in us, not literally, but representatively through the word of God. My evidence for such a position? Read on...

First of all, the New Testament tells us that God the Father and Jesus Christ dwell in us as well. Paul writes in Romans 8:10 that "Christ is in you." God is in us according to 1 John 4:4. And then Colossians 3:16 says that the word of Christ dwells in us! We dwell in God based on 1 John 4:13 and Paul declares that sin dwells in us (Romans 7:17).

Now, either ALL of this is literal or NONE of it is literal. Because what happens so often is that religious people want to say that the Holy Spirit dwells in us literally, but that the Father and Christ do NOT dwell in us literally. And let me ask you this, how does the word dwell in us? Like John, are we to "eat the book" and hope that the pages of the Bible are exempt from the normal digestive process? Of course not! The point is that the word dwells in our hearts in that we develop a relationship with the word through diligent study and meditation. Likewise, sin dwells in us when we serve sin and have a relationship with sin. The same is true with the three members of the Godhead.

So then how does the Holy Spirit dwell in us, if not literally? What evidence is there that the "indwelling" of the Holy Spirit is indirect and representative?

The best evidence I've seen is found in 1 Kings 8. In this great chapter, King Solomon is dedicating the newly-completed temple. He says in verses 12-13, "The Lord said He would dwell in the dark cloud. I have surely built You an exalted house, and a place for You to dwell in forever." According to Solomon, God would dwell in the temple? But now? Let's read a series of passages from this chapter...

"'Since the day that I brought My people Israel out of Egypt, I have chosen no city from any tribe of Israel in which to build a house, that My name might be there; but I chose David to be over My people Israel.' Now it was in the heart of my father David to build a temple for the name of the Lord God of Israel" (vs. 16-17).

"But will God indeed dwell on the earth? Behold, heaven and the heaven of heavens cannot contain You. How much less this temple which I have built!" (vs. 27)

"...Hear in heaven Your dwelling place..." (vs. 30)

Solomon uses the same language here that we find in the New Testament. God would dwell in the temple just as the Holy Spirit is said to dwell in Christians. But clearly, based on the language of 1 Kings 8, God didn't literally dwell in the temple. He couldn't! Rather, the temple signified God's presence in Israel; His "name" was there. Over and over again, it is stated that God is actually and truly IN HEAVEN (see John 14:1-4, the Father's house).

Do you see what I'm trying to say? There is nothing in the Bible that demands a literal and bodily indwelling of the Holy Spirit. The evidence actually points to a representative indwelling. The Spirit dwells in us through the word (Eph. 6:17).

Maybe I've missed it somewhere. If so, let me know. Leave a question or comment.

1 comment:

  1. Ezek. 36:27 - I will put My Spirit in them.
    Ps. 51:11 - David was worried about God removing His Spirit from him.
    Acts 2:38 - the language allows for either something Spirit gives (salvation), or the Spirit Himself is the gift. I believe it's both.
    Acts 5:32, Rom. 5:5, Rom. 8:9-11, I Cor. 3:16, I Cor. 6:19, 2 Cor. 1:22, 2 Cor. 5:5, Eph. 1:13-14, 2 Cor. 13:14.

    I believe in a literal indwelling. This does not mean, as some might suggest, that the Holy Spirit leads us, controls us, overrides our free will, etc as has been taught by some. This does not mean the Holy Spirit has to operate on us first so we can even believe in the first place. It's not some better-felt-than-told experience. But the promise of Scripture is - when we respond to God, when we "call on the name of the Lord" in baptism (Acts 22:16), then we are told that we receive the Holy Spirit as well (Acts 2:38).

    What does the Holy Spirit do for the Christian today?
    •The miraculous gifts are NOT part of the Holy Spirit's work today. (See I Cor. 13:9-13)

    •He does help us pray/talk to Father (Rom. 8:26-27)

    •I also firmly believe, the Holy Spirit influences us. When we study the word that He inspired, I believe He helps us to see truth. I do not believe that every sermon I have preached was merely the product of Dan Chaney's efforts and mental strength. When we seek truth, God promises to help us (Ask and it shall be given, seek and ye shall find)

    •The Holy Spirit is a downpayment/ earnest/ guarantee of our salvation. (Eph. 1:13-14, etc.)Eph. 4:30 - We are sealed till the day of redemption. The H.S. is connected to our ultimate redemption. That seems to be the purpose/the reason the Holy Spirit is given.

    My point is not that I understand everything about this indwelling. But it's not my job to understand it all, it's my job to preach/ teach/and defend it because the Bible says it's so. I believe the Holy Spirit literally indwells the Christian.

    ReplyDelete